Cairo, Egypt is known for its great pyramids (and, well, camels). Cairo, Nebraska just might be known for the same thing.
Cairo (pronounced KAIR-oh) is a 0.77 square mile town with a population of about 785 (2010) that’s located in Hall County, Nebraska. It was established in 1886 and took it’s name after that other Cairo, the capital of Egypt.
The town embraces its Middle-Eastern namesake with street names that call back to Africa: Egypt, Mecca, Nile, Medina, Syria, Nubia, Berber, Thebes, Alexandria, and Suez.
The star roadside attraction in Cario, Nebraska is a big camel statue that stands next to a metal pyramid inscribed with “Welcome to Cairo.” It’s located next to the train tracks at the corner of (the decidedly non Egypt-inspired) S High Street and E Kansas Street in front of the baseball field.
But the big camel and pyramid are not the only things to see in Cairo. Adjacent to the Cairo Camel Statue is a tall black way marker pole with arrows pointing to major cities in the United States and around the world, such as Seattle, New York, Phoenix, Athens, London, Paris, and Minneapolis.
There’s also a colorful mural that celebrates the history of the town on the side of Cairo Flowers, next to the Pump & Pantry on the other side of the train tracks. The street art declares “A Golden Past, A Brighter Future.”
Camel and Pyramid in Cairo, Nebraska
Address: 134 S High St, Cairo, Nebraska (Approximate address, on the corner of S High Street and E Kansas Street)
Cost: Free to See
Hours: Always Visible