Officially known as the Provine Service Station, this vintage service station in Hydro, Oklahoma on Route 66 is more commonly known as Lucille’s Historic Highway Gas Station or, simply, Lucille’s Place.
In 1927 Carl Ditmore built this two-story gas station just south of Hydro, Oklahoma along Route 66. The bungalow-style craftsman building features a hinged roof with overhanging eaves and an open service bay supported by tapered piers. A second story apartment was meant for the owner to live privately while conducting business below.
Other owners had taken over the property in years since. Ida and W.O. Waldrop took over in 1934, renamed it The Provine Station (its still official moniker), and added a tourist court for visitors to stay overnight.
But no owner has been so well-known as Lucille Hamons, the “Mother of the Mother Road” who owned and operated this gas station wither her husband Carl Hamons from 1941 until her death in 2000.
Like many vintage service stations on Route 66, don’t expect to fill up your tank here. The business is no longer operational and now serves as a historical landmark and Route 66 attraction. The restored property has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1997.
Inspired by this Route 66 attraction, a replica restaurant named Lucille’s Roadhouse opened down the road in Weatherford. Stop here for photos and stop there for lunch!
Lucille’s Historic Highway Gas Station/Provine Service Station
Address: U.S. Rte 66, Hydro, OK 73048
Cost: Free to See
Hours: Always Visible