The Magnolia Gas Station in Vega, Texas was built in 1924 by Col J. T. Owen. For decades the stop fueled travelers on Route 66 and the Ozark Trail alongside locals. The two-story building allowed for the business to operate downstairs while the operator could live in an apartment upstairs.
While the business originally operated as a Magnolia gas station, in the following years the station operated as a Phillips 66, a Conoco, and even the Slatz Barbershop. In the 1970s the business closed up for good and sat vacant for decades to come.
In 2001, the City of Vega applied to the National Park Service Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program and received a $50,000 cost share grant to restore the property. Extensive repairs were made, windows and doors were restored, the long-gone canopy was reconstructed, and gas pumps were reproduced. It now serves as a visitor center with a display of historic artifacts, photos, and more set up inside.
While you’re stopping at this Texas Route 66 attraction, swing out back to see the Quanah Parker Trail arrow. Similar giant arrows can be found throughout Texas and commemorate historical connections with the last Comanche Chief, Quanah Park. The plaque below the arrow reads:
Comanches camped at Playa Lakes here traveling trail N to Tascosa E/W to Tecovas Springs & Tucamuncari. Arrow Sculptor Charles A. Smith.
Find more vintage service stations on Route 66. Visit Baxter Springs Independent Oil and Gas Service Station, Soulsby Service Station, Standard Oil Filling Station, Sprague’s Super Service Station, Ambler’s Texaco Gas Station, Lucille’s Historic Highway Gas Station, and Allen’s Conoco Fillin’ Station.
Magnolia Gas Station
Address: 105 S Main St, Vega, TX 79092
Hours: Always Visible
Cost: Free to See