There are plenty of options for road trip entertainment, things to keep you occupied on a long car ride. You can play games like license plate bingo or a scavenger hunt, blast some music (and sing along with car karaoke), or listen to a must-read book on tape. With so much free time on the way to your destination, why not spend some time in the car getting to know your passengers by taking turns answering fun road trip questions to ask in the car.
Whether you’re traveling with your partner, family, or friends, these car ride questions are the perfect ice breakers and car conversation starters. Some of these topics to talk about in the car are deep, others are just plain fun. These 100 pre-written prompts of the best questions to ask on a road trip are sure to get everyone in the car talking. Ready to get to know your travel companions? Start asking away!
100 Fun Road Trip Questions & Questions for Car Rides
Travel / Road Trip Questions For Car Rides
These questions for road trips are all about travel itself.
- What do you like most about road trips?
- What do you like least about road trips?
- What is your favorite part of travel?
- What is your least favorite part of travel?
- What’s one thing you’re looking forward to most on this trip?
- What was the best road trip you’ve ever taken?
- What was the worst road trip you’ve ever taken?
- If you could road trip for one month where would you go?
- Where is the farthest place you ever traveled in a car?
- Which country do you most dream of visiting someday?
- What is the best vacation you’ve ever had?
- Do you prefer to fly or drive?
- Would you rather travel to the beach or the mountains?
- Would you rather take a road trip via the interstate or back roads?
- What is your favorite type of place to stop on a road trip?
- What’s the worst travel advice you’ve ever received?
- Would you rather return to somewhere you’ve already been or visit a new place?
- What vacation would you most like to recreate?
- What is your favorite place you’ve visited?
- What is your least favorite place you’ve visited?
- Do you prefer having a set itinerary or to playing it by ear?
- What is your favorite travel accommodation? (Hotels, AirBNB, camping, etc.)
- How many states have you been to?
- What is the best national park?
- What is your favorite roadside attraction?
- Would you rather have to answer questions for an entire road trip or have complete silence the whole ride?
- What are you happy that you’re not doing right now?
- Would you rather constantly be on your phone or not have access to your phone at all?
- What would your perfect day on vacation look like?
Fun Car Questions
These interesting car questions let you know a little more about how your friends or family like to roll.
- What was your first car?
- What is your dream car?
- Would you rather have a minivan or a moped?
- Would you rather have a convertible or a motorcycle?
- Would you rather own a stick shift car or a self driving car?
- Would you rather live in an RV or always have to rent a car?
Road Food Questions
One of the best parts of roadtrips is stopping to eat! These questions to ask on a car ride are all about road food!
- What are your favorite pizza toppings?
- What is on your ultimate burger?
- What is your favorite kind of doughnut?
- What are your three favorite ice cream toppings?
- What is your favorite kind of candy?
- What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?
- What would you want to eat in an eating contest?
- What is your favorite gas station snack?
- Who makes the best fast food fries?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
- What is your favorite diner dessert?
Road Trip Conversation Starters
Not all questions for long car rides have to be about road trips or travel! Here are some questions to spark a deeper conversation.
- What is your greatest fear?
- What is your worst habit?
- What is your biggest guilty pleasure?
- What is your life motto?
- What did you want to be when you were growing up?
- What is your dream job?
- What is your most unrealistic dream?
- What advice would you give a teenage self?
- How would you describe yourself in three words?
- If you could speak another language, what would it be? Why?
- Where is one of the weirdest places you’ve ever slept?
- If you were granted one wish, what would you wish for?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
- What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery?
- If you could change something you did in the past, what would you change?
- If you could be a character on any TV show, which one would you pick?
- If you could be best friends with anyone from a movie, who would it be? Why?
- What are the top three items on your bucket list?
- Where do you want to be in 10 years?
- What actor would you want to play you in a movie?
- If you could be invisible for one day, what would you do?
- Who was your first celebrity crush?
- Who is your current celebrity crush?
- What is your biggest life goal?
- Who is the most famous person you have met in person?
- What is the most courageous thing you have done in your life?
- If you could win a lifetime supply of any one thing, what would it be?
- If you could be an expert on any subject, what would it be?
- If you were allowed to have any animal as a pet, which animal would you get?
- What is your greatest hidden talent?
- What talent do you wish you had?
- If you could see the future, what one thing would you want to see?
- What do you wish you could spend more of your time doing?
- Is a hot dog a sandwich?
Family Road Trip Questions
If you’re traveling with your kids, brothers or sisters, or parents, ask these questions to ask your family on a road trip.
- Who is your best friend? Why are they your best friend?
- If you were the parent, what would you say to your kids?
- Do you have a favorite family tradition?
- What is your favorite hobby?
- Where is the best place to take a family vacation?
- What is your favorite theme park ride?
- What is your favorite family vacation memory?
- What do you want to be when you grown up?
- What is your favorite toy or game? Why?
- If you could be any animal, which animal would you be? Why?
Fun Road Trip Questions for Couples
Traveling with your husband or wife or boyfriend or girlfriend? Ask these couples road trip questions.
- What’s the one thing you look forward to the most about growing old together?
- What are your best pick-up lines?
- Why did you first ask me out (or why did you accept the first date)?
- What would be your ideal romantic getaway?
- What was the worst date you ever had?
- What was the best date you ever had?
- What part of our relationship are you most thankful for?
- What is your favorite memory of our relationship?
- Where do you see us in 10 years?
- What do you love most about your partner?