When planning a road trip, Google Maps makes it easy to plot points, find your destination, and share your route for your road trip with friends or family. But how do you share a route on Google Maps? It’s easy! Here are the steps to quickly create a road trip route in Google Maps and share the link wherever you want!
Looking for a more in-depth guide to planning a road trip route with multiple stops? Be sure to check out my guide on how to plan a road trip with Google Maps.
How to share a route on Google Maps from your computer:
- Open Google Maps in your browser.
- In the top left box click on the blue diamond with an arrow to open directions.
- Enter your starting point and destination into the fields.
- Click on the plus sign to add additional destinations and move your mouse to the left of the fields to drag and drop the addresses to place them in the appropriate order.
- To change the default route to an alternative, click on the options below the address fields in the left-hand box or click on the alternate gray route lines on the map.
- To further customize your route, click the blue lines on the map to drag them to where you want them to go.
- Once your route is finalized, click the hamburger menu at the top left.
- Select “share or embed map.”
- In the “send a link” tab click “copy link” next to “link to share”
- Paste the link where you want to share the map.
How to share a route on Google Maps from your iPhone or Android phone:
- Open the Google Maps App on your iPhone.
- Click the search button and enter your destination.
- Below the map, click directions.
- Enter your starting point.
- Click the three dots next to the starting point to add stops or change route options.
- Click on the grayed out line on the map to switch to a different suggested Route.
- Click the three dots next to the starting point and click “share directions”
- Choose where to send the map or choose “copy” to get a shareable link.
Photo by Kelsey Knight on Unsplash