Howdy from Route 66! If you’re looking for a fun Route 66 roadside attraction with a western twist, this one is for you! Meet “Dude Man” the cowboy muffler man in Gallup, New Mexico.
Muffler men roadside attractions are fiberglass giants who stand anywhere from 14 to 25 feet tall. Each has a similar design and was built between 1963 and 1972 by International Fiberglass in Venice, California. With signature stances, these big men stood outside of muffler shops and other businesses to call attention from the road.
The Road Trip Journal & Activity Book
Everything You Need to Have and Record an Epic Road Trip!
Enjoy fun games and challenges to pass the time on your next road trip and have a keepsake to look back on for years to come with this entertaining must-have for your next vacation.
And this one definitely calls your attention from the road! While he isn’t directly located on Route 66 you can still sneak a peek at him from the main drive.
Known as “Dude Man” by locals, he cowboy muffler man in Gallup stands on the roof of John’s Used Cars. The fiberglass giant wears blue pants, a red and white western button up shirt, and a white stetson cowboy hat. Around his waist is a holser complete with a pistol (which he may or may not have had to use judging from what appears to be a bullet hole in his head).
Dude man isn’t the only muffler man on Route 66! Here are some others to add to your road trip itinerary:
- Gemini Giant muffler man at the Launching Pad in Wilmington, Illinois
- Muffler Man Holding a Hot Dog in Atlanta, Illinois
- Lauterbach Tire Muffler Man in Springfield, Illinois (Lauterbach Giant)
- Mega Mayor Muffler Man in Uranus, Missouri
- Buck Atom Space Cowboy Muffler Man in Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 2nd Amendment Cowboy Muffler Man in Amarillo, Texas
- NAU Skydome Lumberjack Muffler Man in Flagstaff, Arizona
- Chicken Boy in Los Angeles, California
More Photos of Dude Man, the Cowboy Muffler Man in Gallup, New Mexico
Dude Man – Cowboy Muffler Man
Address: John’s Used Cars, 416 W Coal Ave, Gallup, NM 87301
Cost: Free to See
Hours: Always Visible but gates may be closed if the business is